In Romans 10:15, the apostle Paul identifies two important components of missions — those who “go” and those who “send.” Churches and missionaries are partners in missions, two halves of a team that God uses to extend His Kingdom worldwide. They encourage one another, pray for each other, and share progress and challenges. Through their partnership, God is glorified and both parties are strengthened in their vision and mission.
Christian Reformed World Missions (CRWM) has more than 200 missionaries serving in over 40 countries, and through partnerships, our work extends to more than 50 countries. We currently have about 50 career missionary positions (over 90 adults) and over 85 partner missionary positions (over 130 adults).
CRWM also partners with churches and individuals to send volunteers to serve alongside career missionaries. Last year CRWM sent over 440 volunteers to serve all around the globe.
How it works
- World Missions has a budget of $15.2 million (USD) for the 2015-2016 fiscal year (7/1/15 - 6/30/16). Ministry Shares supports about 31% of CRWM’s budget. The additional support comes from church and individual donations given in addition to Ministry Share, gifts.
- Over 75% of organized CRCNA congregations partner with at least one Christian Reformed World Missions missionary or project.
The way CRC churches give to ministry has changed. Giving has moved from churches and individuals giving to the CRCNA and allowing funds to be used as needed, to donor designated giving — donors giving in such a way that they know where and how their gifts will be used. Because of this change, as well as a number of other factors, CRWM transitioned to individualized budgets for missionaries. By 2020 current missionaries will partner with churches and organizations to have 90% of their individualized budget covered by gifts designated for their ministries. As designated giving comes in, the same amount of Ministry Share gifts and general gifts can be used to expand ministry.
New missionaries will leave for the field once they reach 90% of their individualized budgets.
Missionaries’ budgets will vary based on their ministry location and family situation. However, the average missionary budget is based on these percentages:
- Volunteer — CRWM offers short-term volunteer opportunities ranging from a few weeks to a year.
- Partner — CRWM sends partners to serve with schools and organizations that share a common vision for ministry.
- A Career — CRWM offers long-term opportunities to extend Christ’s reign among the nations.
- Prayer — Sign up for our weekly ePray. Publish and distribute missionary prayer letters (using offline methods for countries with security concerns).
- Communication — Organize a group of volunteers who will regularly write or send emails to your missionaries.
- Support — Take special offerings for CRWM at Pentecost and the third Sunday in September. Support a special project that is an integral part of your missionary’s ministry.
- Visit — Include your missionaries in your congregation’s day-to-day activities when they are in North America. Investigate the possibility of sending your pastor or members of the congregation to visit your missionary on the field.
- Missions Advocate — Become the CRWM representative at your church.
- Resources — Use CRWM missions resources.